Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: ASH WEDNESDAY

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner LadyLove's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,562
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Mardi Gras is over and today, for many Christians all over the world, is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.

    Mel Gibson's movie, The Passion of The Christ is released to the general public today in 3,000 movies nationwide. Many can't wait to see it, and many don't want to. I'm wondering how those of us who don't mind saying feel about seeing the movie? If you see the movie and want to post how it affected you....post away!

    Over the years our religious practices have undergone many and various changes. Observation of Lent is one in particular. Some give up something they normally enjoy during Lent, some seek to increase their spirituality during Lent (read the Bible more, worship more, etc.). Some don't observe Lent.

    For those who don't mind sharing, how do you observe Lent, or feel about observing Lent? How do you feel about the existence of a supreme Being?

    One request for this thread though - please try to be civil? But if ya can't, then knock yourselves out.....LOL!

    For those who observe Lent, I wish you a spiritually rewarding journey toward Easter Day! [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img]

    <font color="#600080" size="1">[ February 25, 2004 01:33 PM: Message edited by: LadyLove ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 1FINH's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2004
    Posts
    963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    (NOTE FROM LL: 1FINH's response involves this part of LL's original post which, because he's absolutely right, has now been altered. Here's the original part of LL's post he's referring to - so his post will still make sense:

    Quote from LL's original post:
    One request for this thread though - no rude criticism of anything another says. We don't have to agree and we don't need to be ugly. Religion is personal and if we're willing to express our feelings, I want this to be a safe place to do it. We already know everyone doesn't agree about religion, so there will be differing ideas and feelings expressed by any who might post here Let's just keep it respectful of others. If it turns into judgement of others' feelings, or arguements, I will delete the thread.
    <font size="4" face="Tempus Sans ITC, Tahoma,sans-serif">NOW.....posted by 1FINH:

    While I do love how you wish to hear about others feelings on the movie and lent etc.. .isnt asking people not to argue to what ever point you deem "argueing" censorship? I mean tis your board and you have the right I guess to delete the topic but asking people not to dissagree upon something they may feel stronly about is like asking people who show up to a gun fight to try not to shoot each other. It's called Holy wars. Since the begining of time I dont think anyone has ever came out and said, so how do you feel about Christ and it went smoothly for everyone. It is amazing though in the now world with all the non beleivers , people who cant find the time or that dont practice as often that they still feel as strongly as they do about a subject many of them have even broached with themselves. I mean seriously how many people can honestly say outside of what they learn in church have ever picked up a bible and just read it to learn more?

    Hmm anyhow sorry to butt in as I prolly wont see the movie unless it comes to tv and then still prolly not. Not sure why. Just thought I would point out the danger of asking people to do what they are un-capable of. Though if you let em word it out usually some great ideas or thoughts can be invoked. I remember we had a talk about GOD on the Acrop site a long while back. It was one of the longest topics I think they have had and one of the best. I will try to find the link.

    <font color="#600080" size="1">[ February 25, 2004 01:42 PM: Message edited by: LadyLove ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1FINH's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2004
    Posts
    963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner LadyLove's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,562
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Whew! 1FINH ya made me work to make sense out of changing my post - but it needed changing...LOL! You're right! While I had in mind a "safe place" for people to express their feelings" - we are all adults and should be able to hold our own if need be. I know I can. And I sure don't want to censor this. Didn't think of it that way until you brought it up. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks, and thanks for the links - they're really interesting, and I doubt seriously that anyone dove off a cliff because of something that was said to them. [img]redface.gif[/img]

    Now, I'm curious. You said you probably wouldn't see the movie, even on TV. It's such a controversial film - strong opinions pro and con among those who saw it before it was publically released....why do ya feel you probably won't watch it? That's if ya don't mind answering. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    To be fair I'll say I do plan to see it - partly because I think it will give people who are open to it a clearer understanding of Christ's sacrifice - it's so comfortably vague when read in the Bible. And partly because I think it's going to be one of the greatest, most realistic religious films made in our time (i.e. minus the blond haired, blue-eyed Jesus and tiptoeing around the reality of His suffering), and I wanna see it.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member SEXY GRAMMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2002
    Posts
    1,367
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    WELL I WANNA SEE IT, I KNOW I'LL CRY MY HEAD OFF, BUT THIS MOVIE COMES AT A RIGHT TIME IN THIS CRAZY WORLD. I THINK MEL IS VERY COURAGEOUS TO MAKE THIS FILM, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SHOWING PEOPLE WHAT CHRIST WENT THRU FOR US. IT'S TIME TO WAKE SOME PEOPLE UP. WHETHER YOU BELIEVE OR NOT, KEEP AN OPEN MIND IF YOU GO SEE IT. I HEARD SOME PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT IT AT A RESTAURANT, ONE PERSON THOUGHT IT WAS TO VIOLENT, DUH! THAT'S HOW IT HAPPENED. ANYWAY, JUST MY TWO CENTS.
    [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner LadyLove's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,562
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lori I hope you'll post here about what ya think of the movie after you see it. I'm probably gonna end up waiting 'til it comes out on cable - my back bugs me so bad tryin' to sit for 2 hours, I'm afraid between the back pain and what's goin' on on the screen I may just stand up in the big middle of it and scream....thereby makin' a TOTAL ass of myself! LOL! [img]redface.gif[/img]

    I'm sure hearing a lot about it on TV, pro and con, but it seems like more are really glad they saw it even though parts are hard to take. Like ya said, that's how it happened. I also heard that Mel Gibson is planning another religious-type film in the future. I do admire him for makin' this one - I know it took a lot of courage on his part. Hope you get to see it soon!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1FINH's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2004
    Posts
    963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Now, I'm curious. You said you probably wouldn't see the movie, even on TV. It's such a controversial film - strong opinions pro and con among those who saw it before it was publically released....why do ya feel you probably won't watch it? That's if ya don't mind answering. .....

    well prolly wont see it as I dont get out much for movies because of the kids. Also when I do I get to pay for day care. Part of the not wanting to see it comes from the religious controversy already about it. People will argue amoungst each other about how it was played out and this or that didnt happen and turn it into a holy war about a film. [img]confused.gif[/img] Rather not get sucked into that mentality. On the flip side I wouldnt want to be surrounded by people who will use it as their excuse as THIS is what brought them closer to god. It is a movie. Controversy causes media and media makes money and I dont think Hollywood made the flim to say HEY LOOK A STORY ABOUT GOD as opposed to Hey look. A bunch of controversy come fill our pockets. Though some times they do a good job ie MATRIX and I am happy to see it.

    I will wait for the DVD thx

  8. #8
    Inactive Member SEXY GRAMMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2002
    Posts
    1,367
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    LL AND I NEVER SAID WE WEREN'T GOING TO SEE IT, LL SAID BECAUSE OF HER BACK SHE WILL WAIT TILL IT COMES ON DVD, I DEFINELTY WILL SEE IT, I'M JUST WAITING FOR THE CROWDS TO CALM DOWN. I HOPE IT DOES BRING PEOPLE CLOSER TO GOD, THATS ONE OF THE REASON'S MEL MADE THE MOVIE. ALSO HE USED MOST OF HIS OWN MONEY TO MAKE IT. HE STUDIED THE SCRIPTURES FOR YEARS BEFORE HE MADE THIS MOVIE, HE DIDN'T JUST PULL IT OUT OF A BAG. ANYTHING THAT BRINGS PEOPLE CLOSER TO LOVING EACH OTHER WORKS FOR ME!
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Briii's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2001
    Posts
    409
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm going to see it (the movie) tomorrow (Sunday) and the reason for all of the controversy is due to the fact that the Jewish community have different beliefs in regard to the Christians. The Bible (King James Version) the bible the Christians do use and go by as a tool for daily living is where the controversy begins. They (the Jewish community)doesn't want to the ones accused of condemming Christ to death. For Mel Gibson, who is a Christian, has used that very thing in presentation in his movie. Straight out of the Bible. Like it or not...... thats the way it is in the Bible. Not from Mel or anyone else's word, solely the Bible's. Catholics fear receiving a bad name from it as well...... Pilate was a Roman/Catholic. No-one comes out looking good in this movie except for Jesus Christ. Which... rightfully so, is the way it should be. If you believe in the bible, Jesus bore the sins of the whole world upon His shoulders on the cross. Its pretty cut and dried. (That is...if you're a christian and believe in the bible) We as humans can't twist, and contort the bible's words to shape them as we'd like them to be. No-one wants to be "the bad guy". Thats where the fear comes in. Its not "our words"...... its Word that came to be from "heavenly inspiration" according to the Bible. The conflict comes from within, not above.

    Ladylove, I just jumped in here... I hope you don't mind.
    [img]redface.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Briii's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2001
    Posts
    409
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oops... and yes, this is just my personal opinion and beliefs.

    No offense to anyone who may read it that may not agree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •